Don Converse

Don Converse

Monday, June 11, 2007

"How are you guys doin'?"

My problem lies within this title. I have heard this line from waitresses, waiters, clerks and other so-called customer service people when I am in a public place - with my lady! Maybe it is a California thing, I don't remember hearing this in the Midwest where I lived until 15 years ago. I was brought up to treat a woman with respect. I cannot imagine my father letting anyone refer to my mother as a "guy". When I hear this from anyone (especially other women) when my fiancee is next to me, I do a double-take. Where is the other guy? I wonder. I think I hear this more from young women more than men. I am not advocating going back to calling all women "Ma'am", but even "folks" works better for me than calling both individuals in a couple - "Guys". Is this as abrasive to you as it is to me?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Here is another gripe I have that you may be familiar with; Customer-service lines purport to solve problems, but present a bigger one: reaching a human being. Your so-called "important" call ("Your call is important to us. Please hold for the next available operator" - while you listen to our on-hold Muzak or worse, our promotional messages) is really not that important. Pressing zero rarely gets you an operator these days. Some computer operators prompt you to speak a request. Then a recorded voice says, "I'm sorry, I did not understand your message. Please repeat it clearly.", as if "I" was a real person!

Here are a few of tips from the Toronto Globe and Mail to outsmart the customer-service phone lines: 1.) If you talk nicely and act confused you're more likely to move to the front of the queue. 2.) The Website - Gethuman.com lists the keypad codes needed to bypass the automated systems of hundreds of companies. 3.) When you do reach a representative, take note of the conversation, as well as any you may have with a supervisor. If all else fails, call the head office and ask for the VP of customer service by name. He/she will probably not answer the phone, but the executive assistant will and that person often has authority to settle problems.

Complexity, uncertainty, and interdependence place demands on an organization to process information in order to coordinate its activities by increasing the communication load carried by that organization. If the meaning of customer service was broken down to one single word, that word could likely be communication. Technologies can set up conditions for organizational conflict. If that is true, then technologies may actually contribute to a break-down in communications. Computers, telephones, the Internet are technologies that are not likely to go away soon, and I'm okay with that. I love my computer, cellphone and what did we do before the Internet, but the human factor gets fuzzy or even invisible at times when it comes to serving us - the customer. However, it's as my father use to say, "Sometimes you have to take the bad along with the good."

Nice talkin' to you guys.

7 comments:

Johnny Kurko said...

Donny,
One of my pet peeves is that corporations are trying to save so much money and become more efficient that they lose touch with the customer. Try and call into your local cable company and see how long it takes you to get to a live person. It just infuriates me and makes me want to go away from that company.

Good job on the blog buddy.

Inspired Service said...

Johnny,

I agree, that is part of the problem too - Lack of sufficient personnel to handle customer complaints and/or questions. Companies want to keep the employee payroll lean and mean and it ends up negatively affecting their public customer service perception. Unfortunately, the cable company usually has a captive audience and if a subscriber wants to continue to see the "Sopranos" on HBO, you must put up with the cable company's terrible customer service and remain a subscriber.

My plan is to make these kinds of issues known to all kinds of service providers through this blog. Keep the ideas coming my friend.

D.C.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I don't know if I get really bent out of shape with this one. Using "guys" interchangeably is no biggie really. I guess it would depend on the store, the circumstance and the people involved. Hey, I know when in doubt or it feels uncertain, I use the phrase.

How do you suggest we get your ideas and opinions out to the corporate mucky-mucks where it's needed?

Inspired Service said...

Rat2,

Interesting. It would be nice to know if you are a man or woman. If you are a man, you may be less likely to be offended by the term "guys", or if you are a woman, perhaps the culture here in California has accustomed you to the use of the term (I assume you are in Cali) for both genders.

DJC

Anonymous said...

Customer service is so important. Maybe the word "customer" throws people off. Because the concept applies to more than just a 'customer' in a store environment.

Maybe the operative idea is SERVICE. Being of service to one another.
Wouldn't it be nice if we all treated each other as if we were Nordstrom customers?

Duchess

Anonymous said...

HI,

I have a comment about customer service in general -- A conundrum of sorts.

In many organizations the customer service duties are left to the newest least experienced and lowest paid employees. Yet these people are the "face" of the company.

Then, when these employees get very good at customer service they get promoted and the cycle starts again with the newest least experienced people working with the hard won customers. They practice on the customer endangering the customer/company relationship.

I don't know what the answer is except to keep more people in customer service longer, pay them more, make the customer service person a more valuable team member.

Inspired Service said...

Dear Anonymous,

Indeed, customer service professionals that prove themselves to be very good at what they do should be paid more. Not only are companies more demanding than ever, customers are also more demanding. They demand that a company representative be both technically savvy and a people person. It makes providing customer service an unforgiving endeavor in the new economy. According to some studies, the main reason customers leave companies is caused by an attitude of indifference by the company’s employees. This makes the highly motivated, highly skilled customer service person invaluable to the entire company. Why not make them an extremely well compensated part of the organization.

Well, some companies agree with this, but their solution is to promote the front-line CS person to management! Even if they aren't exactly management material, well, maybe they will develop into one. Besides, the company didn't budget for higher pay for customer service employees, but a manager, well that's different.

I am being sarcastic, but Anonymous has a valid point. Better customer service in the corporation may lead to a better company culture, happier customers and even a better financial performance for the company. Why not pay the great customer service performers more? Companies have recognized the value of great salespeople for quite some time, why not CS professionals?

Great salespeople would rather quit than get promoted to sales manager. The headaches are more and the pay is less.

Any other suggestions or comments on the subject?

DJC